I'm always looking for new banana recipes since I never seem to have a shortage of ripe bananas. My ripe bananas never go to waste! If I am not ready to use them when they are ripe, I peel them and stick them in a baggie and freeze them.
I was drawn to this recipe because of the cream cheese centers. Although I liked the addition of cream cheese to these muffins, my kids didn't care for it. There are a lot of flavors just with the bananas and chocolate chips, so the addition of the cinnamon flavored cream cheese may have been a bit too much. These muffins would certainly be delicious even if the filling was omitted. Or, another option would be to keep the filling and eliminate the chocolate chips.
This recipe makes 12 very large muffins! I used all the batter and filled the muffin cups full. As you can see, the result was big, beautiful muffin tops!
Banana Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate chip banana muffins with cream cheese in the center.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.2. Combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder.3. In separate bowl combine the eggs, bananas, butter, milk, sour cream, and vanilla.4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened.5. Sir in chocolate chips.6. Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full.7. Beat the filling ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.8. Drop by teaspoonfuls into the center of each muffin.9. Top with remaining batter.10. Bake at 400°F for 18-22 minutes, or until done.11. Cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan.
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 muffins
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.