This is a great cake for Valentine's Day, Presidents' Day, or any day! The cake is very rich and has a texture that is somewhere between cake and brownie. I love chocolate, but the almond-cherry flavor in this cake is wonderful! For the ganache I used chocolate chips. I was surprised at how well it turned out--very smooth and shiny just like it should be!
Yes, this recipe starts with a cake mix and contains cherry pie filling. I know there are differing views on using mixes and ready-made fillings in recipes. Some refer to this kind of recipe as "semi-homemade" or don't even consider it homemade at all. My view is that cake mix and pie filling are just ingredients you add to the recipe like eggs or butter. As long as it tastes good, I am not bothered by recipes that use mixes or pie fillings. Call it what you want, but some of my favorite recipes contain these shortcuts. And they quick and easy recipes so I tend to make them over and over again!
What's your view on recipes that have mixes and pie fillings as ingredients?
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 servings
Black Forest Cake with Chocolate Ganache
A dense black forest cake that is topped with chocolate ganache.
- 1 pkg. Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease Bundt pan.2. Mix together cake mix, eggs, almond extract, and pie filling.3. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.4. Pour into Bundt pan and bake for 45-50 min. or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.5. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and allow cake to cool completely.6. Make ganache by heating butter and cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.7. Heat to the point where the cream just begins to boil.8. Remove from heat and pour over 1/2 cup chocolate chips and let sit about 1 min.9. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth and shiny.10. Cool slightly until ganache is the desired consistency to pour over cake.11. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com.