What's the difference between banana cake and banana bread? That is what my family discussed as we tried this cake for the first time. The only real differences we could come up are that a cake usually has frosting and banana bread is usually baked in a loaf pan. There is no doubt that this is a cake. I had been thinking about making a banana cake for days, but when I bake I need everything in my kitchen to be in order. And because my dishwasher was being repaired, nothing was in order. As I waited for order to return, the bananas sat fermenting on the counter above my broken dishwasher. They got so ripe that I began to wonder if there is a point that bananas can't be used any longer and must be thrown out. But as order returned to my kitchen, I decided they were OK, just very ripe. I think they were perfect, actually, because this cake tasted fantastic.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 cake
Banana Cake with Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
A moist banana cake with a rum cream cheese frosting.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ripe mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (or 1 tablespoon rum)
1. Grease and flour (2) 9 inch round baking pans or spray with cooking spray.2. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.3. Add bananas, buttermilk or sour milk, shortening, and vanilla; mix with mixer on low speed until well combined.4. Add eggs and beat on medium speed for two minutes.5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 350°F for 25 - 30 minutes or until cake tests done.6. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pans, and allow to cool completely on wire racks.7. To make frosting, cream together the cream cheese and butter until well combined.8. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar until thoroughly incorporated.9. Add the rum extract (or rum) and continue to mix until smooth; refrigerate frosting until ready to use.