A few years ago my son had an anti-cupcake (gasp!) teacher. She was a very good teacher, but she thought cupcakes were too messy to be eaten in her classroom. She requested that parents send cookies or something less messy than cupcakes for birthday treats. I will admit I was a tad disappointed about not being able to make birthday cupcakes. I guess that I should should have been thankful that the school even allowed home baked treats at all since so many now only allow packaged treats purchased from a store. And some schools only allow healthy treats if they allow treats at all.
When my son's birthday came along he decided he wanted to bring chocolate chip cookies. The cookies I made ended up being very soft and gooey, so I sent them to school along with lots of napkins. I'm not sure if they were messier than cupcakes or not, but my son came home from school so excited that day. He reported that all the kids in his class told him they were the BEST chocolate chip cookies they had ever had! So this has been our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe ever since.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 48
Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lightly crisp on the outside; soft, chewy, and full of chips on the inside!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Cream together the butter and sugars in a large bowl.2. Add the eggs and vanilla and blend well.3. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. 4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.5. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.6. Form dough into walnut-sized balls and arrange 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.7. Bake at 350° for 9 - 11 minutes or until the edges are light brown. Be careful to not overbake.8. Cool on cookie sheet until set, about 2 -3 minutes.9. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely.