This week I celebrated my birthday. I love cake, but since my son's birthday is just over a week away and I recently made Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake, I thought maybe I should bake something besides a cake this week. So I made Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins instead of a cake. And, then my husband brought home an ice cream cake--which isn't really cake, is it?
These muffins were excellent. They were moist and yummy—a solid "10" according to my son. Speaking of muffins, do you use paper liners when you make muffins? I always used to, but lately I have been spraying the muffin tin instead of using liners. I really hate it when half my muffin stays in the liner. I didn’t use liners when I made these muffins, however I did set the muffins in liners for the picture.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 muffins
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Muffins made with fresh apples and topped with streusel and vanilla glaze.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 - 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare muffin tins by spraying with cooking spray or lining with paper liners.2. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and make a well in the center.3. In another bowl combine eggs, butter, and vanilla then pour into the well of dry ingredients.4. Stir until just combined; fold in apples. (Batter will be thick)5. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.6. Make streusel topping by combining the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon; cut in butter to make a crumbly mixture.7. Sprinkle streusel topping over the batter and bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.8. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from the pan to a wire rack.9. After muffins have cooled, combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over the muffins.