These cookies feature another one of my favorite flavor combinations—chocolate and orange. I has been a couple of years since I have made these cookies, and I had forgotten how good they are. In the past I have used semisweet chocolate chips, but opted for dark chocolate chips this time. They are very good either way. These cookies do tend to dry out quickly, so store them in an airtight container. You can also add a slice of bread to the container to help keep them soft and chewy.
Besides these cookies, I have posted a few other recipes that use citrus zest: Cranberry Orange Scones, Cinnamon Orange Cranberry Monkey Bread, Orange Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting, and Lemon Cream Cheese Bars. For recipes that call for zest, I love using my Microplane Zester/Grater. This is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. It makes it so easy to get only the zest, and not the bitter pith which can ruin your recipe.
Chocolate-Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
A chocolate cookie with orange zest and dark chocolate chips.
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, used separately
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) dark chocolate morsels
1. Zest orange; use 1 teaspoon of the orange zest and combine it with 1/3 cup of sugar and set aside.2. Cream together 1 cup sugar, butter, and the remainder of the orange zest.3. Add the egg and mix well.4. In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.5. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.6. Stir in the chocolate chips.7. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then roll each ball in the orange-sugar mixture. 8. Place balls of dough about 3 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet; use the bottom of a glass to flatten the balls to about 1/2 inch thickness9. Bake in a 350°F oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until set; cool slightly and then remove from cookie sheet.
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 1/2 dozen