This is my new favorite coffee cake! Over the past couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to make this cake twice, and it was a hit both times. Back in October I posted a lovely Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake that had a ribbon of cream cheese in the center. This coffee cake also has a ribbon of cream cheese running through the center, but it is very different from the filling in the pumpkin cake. This coffee cake’s cream cheese ribbon isn’t as sweet or as light and airy as the pumpkin cake’s filling. The filling in the coffee cake is creamy, dense and delectable. And the addition of lemon juice gives it a tangy contrast to the rest of the cake. I wouldn’t say it is better than the other cream cheese filling, just different. This cake is truly enjoyable with a cup of coffee. Or without. It is just plain enjoyable!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 servings
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Delicious coffee cake with a ribbon of cream cheese in the center.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F; grease and flour (or spray with baking spray) 10-inch tube pan.2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.3. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each; beat in vanilla.4. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.5. Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream to wet ingredients, beating well.6. Make the filling by beating the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth.7. Spoon half of the batter into the pan then spread filling evenly over batter; spoon the remainder of the batter over top of the filling.8. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the batter.9. Bake at 350°F for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.10. Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan; allow to cool before serving or storing in the refrigerator.