Do you ever have days where you feel like you are one step behind and can’t catch up? That’s how I have felt for the last couple of weeks. Among other things, I am behind on blog posts, behind on responding to blog comments, behind on visiting the blogs I follow. I am so sorry, my blogging friends. I seriously want to sit down with a cup of coffee and some biscotti and catch up on everything. Hopefully I will be able to do that soon. Until then, I will share this Chocolate Biscotti recipe with you.
This recipe might not be the perfect biscotti recipe. It was kind of crumbly, and I had a few of the ends break off as I was cutting them. Oh well. It tasted perfect. . . even the crumbles and broken ends.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: approx. 30 cookies
Chocolate Biscotti with walnuts and miniature chocolate chips and dipped in white chocolate.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 ounces white chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.2. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside.3. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.4. Beat in the eggs then mix in the vanilla.5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixture and mix until combined (batter will be stiff).6. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts; knead dough if necessary.7. Divide the dough in half and form into two logs that are approximately 9 inches long; flatten longs with fingers on parchment-lined baking sheet so dough is about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick and about 2 - 3 inches wide. 7. Combine egg yolk and water; brush flattened logs with egg mixture.8. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes; remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 - 15 minutes.9. Transfer lots to cutting board and carefully slice each log diagonally into 3/4 inch slices using a serrated knife. 10. Return slices to baking sheet, laying slices on their sides so cut side is facing up.11. Bake for 10 minutes in 350°F oven then turn slices over and bake 10 more minutes; remove from oven and allow to cool.12. Melt white chocolate in the microwave using medium power; as soon as chocolate begins to soften (approx. 30 seconds) remove from microwave and stir. Continue to microwave at 10 second intervals until chocolate is desired consistency for dipping.13. Dip biscotti slices into white chocolate, covering half of slice; allow white chocolate to harden.14. Store biscotti in an airtight container.