From then on they were known as “Pink Panther” muffins to us, and they became one of our favorite Saturday morning breakfasts. Not only did we enjoy the muffins while watching “Pink Panther”, but we also enjoyed them while watching “The Flintstones”, “Scooby Doo”, “Land of the Lost”, and all the other Saturday morning cartoons and kids' shows. I used to love everything about those Saturday mornings. Well, except maybe the Sleestack from "Land of the Lost". They gave me nightmares!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 9 muffins
Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins
Cinnamon buttermilk muffins flavored with freshly grated nutmeg.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease, spray, or butter standard muffin cups.2. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; add egg and continue to beat until well combined. 3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.4. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk and vanilla; stir until just combined.5. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.7. Place muffin pan on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes; remove muffins by gently twisting out of pan then let muffins cool until they can easily be handled.8. Make topping by combining the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or custard cup; put melted butter into another shallow bowl or custard cup.9. Hold the bottom of muffin and dip into melted butter; twist to coat top of muffin evenly.10. Immediately dip muffin into sugar-cinnamon mixture and coat top of muffin evenly; gently tap muffin to remove extra sugar. 11. Repeat with remaining muffins then allow muffins to cool completely before serving.
Recipe adapted from The Williams-Sonoma Collection: Muffins by Beth Hensperger.