Orange Chia Seed Streusel Muffins will brighten your morning! The subtle orange flavor of these muffins pairs so nicely with with a cup of coffee or a glass of juice. And the chia seeds add a texture similar to poppy seeds. Are you familiar with chia seeds? Honestly, they won’t make your hair look like this . . .
|Picture Source: http://www.chia.com/|
. . . although they may leave you singing the “Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia!” song from the Chia Pet commercial. Not only do these little seeds grow on the clay figurines known as Chia Pets, but they are also good for you! Chia seeds are mild in flavor, high in fiber, easily digestible, and rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. The seeds that I used were white seeds, so you don’t really even see them in the muffins. These muffins are a delicious way to start your morning!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 18
Orange Chia Seed Streusel Muffins
Orange muffins with chia seeds and streusel topping.
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (about 2 oranges)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange flavoring
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter or spray muffin tin.2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and chia seeds.3. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; mix in the orange zest.4. Stir in the eggs one at a time; mix in the vanilla and orange flavoring.5. Alternate adding the milk and the dry ingredients to the mixture; mix until ingredients are just combined.6. To make streusel topping, combine flour, brown sugar, and salt; use a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.7. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with muffin batter and spoon streusel topping over each.8. Bake muffins for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.9. Remove muffins from tin and allow to cool before serving.
Recipe adapted from Bob’s Red Mill.