Last week when I asked my boys what I should bake, they requested whoopie pies. These Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Mint Cream Cheese Filling did not disappoint. I don’t care for the traditional marshmallow filling, so I went with a variation of the cream cheese filling as I have in the past when I baked whoopie pies.
This is a completely different recipe than I used last time I made chocolate whoopie pies. This recipe has chocolate chips in it, but you will have to take my word for it because the chips do not show up at all in the pictures. Because I used a whoopie pie pan, the cakes kind of had “sides” to them. To make them look a little better, I filled them and then piped around the edges to fill in a little more on the sides. When I looked at the first picture that I took I realized it is a little deceiving—the whoopie pies are not filled that thick all the way through. I thought I needed another picture to show this, so as my son Josh was taking his first bite I had him put his whoopie pie down so I could get another picture. He was not happy about waiting a few minutes to finish his whoopie pie (he said it was just too yummy to have to wait), but this picture does show how the filling is piped in around the edges.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 whoopie pies
Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Mint Cream Cheese Filling
Chocolate whoopie pies with chocolate chips, filled with creamy mint cream cheese filling.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- heaping 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon mint or peppermint extract
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 - 3 drops green food coloring, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 375°F; lightly spray or grease wells of whoopie pie pan. 2. Beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy; beat in egg.3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.4. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the batter and stir until combined; fold in the chocolate chips.5. Use a large scoop to fill whoopie pie pan wells, making 24 halves.6. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until cakes are firm to the touch.7. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before filling.8. Make filling by beating together the cream cheese, butter, and mint extract in a large bowl; sift in the confectioners' sugar and continue to beat until well combined; if desired, add food coloring and mix.9. To assemble whoopie pies, spread or pipe filling on one cake and then top with another cake.10. Serve immediately or refrigerate and then bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipes adapted from Whoopies! Fabulous Mix-and-Match Recipes for Whoopie Pies by Susanna Tee.