If you like maple syrup, you need to try these Maple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins. Not being much of a morning person, I baked a batch of these late at night to have ready for breakfast in the morning. The muffins smelled so good baking that I could hardly stand waiting until morning to try one. The fragrant smell of warm maple syrup and cinnamon haunted me all night long. And the verdict in the morning: they tasted as good as they did in my dreams.
Maple syrup can be substituted for white sugar in baking, but it is important to remember that because it is a liquid, it is not a 1:1 substitution. It is recommended that you substitute 3/4 cup of syrup for each cup of sugar and reduce the liquids in the recipe by 3 tablespoons for each cup of sugar substituted. I have gotten good results using this formula.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 16-18 muffins
Maple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Muffins sweetened and flavored with maple syrup and topped with cinnamon streusel.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavor
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
1. Grease standard muffin tin or line with paper liners; preheat oven to 400°F.2. In a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.3. In another bowl mix together the milk, butter, maple syrup, sour cream, egg, and maple flavoring.4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to overmix.5. To make the streusel topping, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt; use a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.6. Fill muffin cups with batter 2/3's full; spoon streusel topping evenly over batter.7. Bake muffins for 16-20 minutes in 400°F oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.8. Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove muffins to wire rack; serve warm or cooled.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.