I decided to give my favorite cinnamon rolls an autumn makeover. I incorporated a few of my favorite seasonal flavors and ingredients into the recipe. The result is these Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls. They have an apple-cinnamon filling and are topped with warm caramel sauce. They are too good for words. These rolls take a little time and a little work to make, but I promise you they are worth it!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 15 rolls
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon rolls with an apple filling and topped with a warm caramel sauce.
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup half -and-half or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Attach dough hook to stand mixer and in the mixer bowl combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.2. Heat milk at a low power in the microwave until lukewarm (120°F - 130°F).3. Add the warm milk, 1/4 cup butter, and egg to the flour mixture and mix at low speed until ingredients are combined, scraping sides of bowl frequently.4. Continue to add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until the dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl.5. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead until it is smooth and elastic.6. Spray bowl with cooking spray and place dough in bowl, turning once to bring greased side of dough up.7. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).8. Punch down dough, pull edges into center, and turn over in the bowl; let rise again until almost double in size (about 20 - 30 minutes).9. While dough is rising, in a large saucepan combine filling ingredients and cook on medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes or until apples are tender; set aside and allow to cool.10. Roll dough into 9" x 15" rectangle; spread filling over dough.11. Roll up tightly beginning at wide side and seal well by pinching edges of roll together.12. Spray 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray; cut rolls into 1" slices using a knife and place rolls in pan a little apart from each other.13. Cover pan and let rise until double in bulk (about 20 - 30 minutes).14. Bake at 375°F for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown and completely baked through.15. To make caramel sauce, combine brown sugar and corn starch in a saucepan; add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Stirring continually cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.15. Drizzle warm caramel sauce over warm rolls and serve.
Filling recipe adapted from David Nichols' recipe via Lincoln County Apple Festival.
Caramel sauce recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Sweet dough recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, First Edition, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. and General Mills, Inc., 1950.